Sports Massage and Therapy
A regular sports massage can help prevent injury by improving the condition of the muscles. A good massage therapist can identify muscle tightness, trigger points and scar tissue which if left untreated may lead to injury. Our Therapists have a comprehensive understanding of the anatomy and physiology of the human body so we can give an effective treatment.
Sports massage can be used in the treatment of specific injuries, such as hamstring strains, as well as to help correct muscle imbalances, overuse and postural issues. These are the issues which should be corrected in order to prevent future injuries and enable better efficiency of muscles and improve performance.
Rehabilitation is key to returning to full strength, flexibility and mobility. Here at Vivo, these are also part of the Sports Massage and Therapy offer.
- Maintain the body generally in better condition.
- Prevent injuries and loss of mobility / flexibility.
- Boost performance
- Extend the overall life of your exercise and sporting participation
- Relief for tired and aching muscles
- Improved posture and general body awareness
- Aid rehabilitation after an injury, accident or operation
- Improve circulation
- Enhance the immune system
- Physical relaxation of the soft tissues can also lead to mental relaxation
Physiological effects of sports massage
- Pain reduction – Tension and waste products in muscles can often cause pain. Massage helps reduce this in many ways including releasing the bodies endorphins.
- Relaxation – Muscles relax through heat generated, circulation and stretching. Mechanoreceptors which sense touch, pressure, tissue length and warmth are stimulated causing a reflex relaxation.
Psychological effects of massage
- Anxiety reduction – through the effects mentioned above relaxation is induced and so reduces anxiety levels.
- Invigorating – if massage is done with brisk movements such as what would be done before an event then this can produces an invigorating feeling.
As well as all that, you feel GREAT afterwards!
We have treated many Marathon runners before and after the event.